A briefcase icon

free case review

We look forward to serving you.

What to Do After a Car Accident

In most cases, law enforcement will be involved after accidents. However, if they are not, it will be up to you to file the necessary paperwork. The Report of Traffic Accident (SR-1) is required within ten days of any accident that resulted in injury, death, or more than $750 in damages.

What Are the Requirements?

The SR-1 form will not be accepted if certain information is not provided. After an accident, everyone involved needs to exchange their complete information, including the following:

  • Full Names
  • Phone Numbers
  • Living Addresses/Mailing Addresses
  • Driver’s License Information
  • Insurance Information
  • Make, Model, Year, Tag Number of Vehicles
  • Social Security Numbers

You will then want to make a note of the time and location of the accident plus the road conditions and weather when the accident occurred. You will attach a copy of your insurance card and doctor’s statements wherever injuries are a factor.

Have You Experienced An Accident in Nevada?

When an accident occurs in Nevada, you need to be prepared to follow state laws and act responsibly. To do this, it helps to have an idea of what exactly is expected of you.

1. Do Not Leave the Scene of the Accident

As a responsible driver, you must never leave the scene of an accident. Not only is it essential that you provide any necessary help immediately following an accident, but leaving an accident scene can result in having your driving privileges revoked or your license suspended.

It is important to remain at the scene of the accident to ensure that you are acting responsibly and avoid losing driving privileges. You should stop your vehicle after the accident, then pull up as close to where the accident occurred as you safely can, while avoiding traffic obstruction. You should try to remain calm as you evaluate the situation. Watch for traffic and pay attention to any potential risks, like fire.

Attend to any drivers, passengers, or pedestrians who need immediate assistance. Avoid moving an injured person unless it is absolutely necessary. If you must move an injured person, do so very carefully.  

Contact 911 for an ambulance and to report the accidents and injuries that occurred. You can also contact the police, sheriff, or highway patrol.

The most important thing is to stay calm and avoid panicking after an accident. This will keep you from making unwise rushed decisions. Many drivers face serious consequences for fleeing the scene of an accident because they did not calmly assess the situation, but panicked instead. If you are not able to move easily, avoid moving as you wait for help. Try to avoid blocking oncoming traffic and minimize the risk of further injury where you can.

2. Exchange Information with Drivers and Witnesses

When an accident occurs in Nevada, the involved parties must exchange their contact information and insurance information. If there are witnesses, you should gather their contact information as well. The most important information to exchange after an accident will include:

  • Contact Details – Full Names, Addresses, Phone Numbers
  • Drivers License Numbers
  • License Plate Numbers
  • Insurance Information

If you are able to take photographs, you should do this too. If the collision occurs with an unattended vehicle, then you must make every attempt to contact and inform the owner/driver and exchange information as above. When you are not able to locate the owner/driver of an unattended vehicle, leave a note that describes the accident and provides your name and contact information.

3. Report Accident to Nevada DMV

If you are in a car accident that is not investigated by a law enforcement agency, then you may need to report that accident to the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Within ten days of the accident, you should complete and submit the Report of Traffic Accident if the following factors apply and if the accident was not already investigated:

  • Injury or Death Resulted From The Accident.
  • The Property Damage Exceeds $750.

If you do not report the accident to the DMV, you may have your Nevada drivers license suspended. The rule applies even if you are asked not to report the accident by the other driver. For example, another driver may offer to pay your damages without reporting the accident, but you still have to report it.

The report that you submit to the DMV needs to include your insurance information. You can have your driver’s license suspended if you did not have liability insurance at the time of the accident. You may also have to start filing proof of future financial responsibility with the SR-22 form.

You should make a copy of your accident report to keep with your own records. The original report can be mailed to the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles at 555 Wright Way; Carson City, NV 89711.

Should You Hire a Lawyer?

It is always a good idea to hire a lawyer when you’ve been involved in an accident. This is especially true if anyone was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and/or if anyone was injured.

Texting & Driving/Distracted Driving Accidents

las vegas injury lawyers

professional, aggressive client defense